Friday 29 January 2016

Back on it.

Its been good to get back running again. I found it really tough mentally to cope without my run fix and I definitely don't like the tyre that has slipped around my midriff over Christmas. I've put a good half a stone on and I can certainly feel it. I'm back on it now, eating healthily and I feel much better for it. I know with a few weeks of running and healthy eating I can deflate the goodyear around my waist.

Because of my forced break, Im not going to push to hard and too soon with my runs. I'm just going for a run every other day and gradually building myself up. I'm going to run for about 4 weeks before starting any training plan with hills, LSRs and speedwork as I don't feel my body could take them at the minute. I've been for two runs this week:

Wednesday 27th Jan.

We`d had a really bad night with Oliver on Tuesday. He had lost control at school and hit out, smacking a classmate in the eye. He was reprimanded for it and was to miss 2 minutes of his lunch break for punishment. Now it might not seem like much, but Oliver gets very stressed and anxious waiting for things and this was no exception.

I totally agreed with the punishment though and I thought it was quite lenient . He has to learn that hitting out is the wrong way of coping and it will have much more serious ramifications at secondary school (expulsion or ending in him getting a kicking).

He was worried all night about it and was crying in bed until 1am! I was knackered Wednesday morning and it was my day off so I was hoping for a bit of a lie in (well I can hope). Joanne had to wake me up as she was in a lot of pain, so it was up to me to get Oliver ready and take him to school. He was really shook up going into school and I was getting upset too. I hate seeing him in turmoil like that, it tears me up inside and I have to bite down my feelings. We (his teacher and I) finally got him into the school and I went home. (Incidentally he was fine, did his 2 minutes and had a really good day at school! little git :)  )

I, on the other hand, felt mentally and physically knackered. I was really upset and felt down, wishing I could take it all for Oliver, doubled with the fact Joanne was bad, it wasn't a good start to the day. As I got home I could only think of one course of action - RUN. I quickly checked on Joanne, got changed and headed out of the door. My garmin watch was dead, adding to my frustrations so I stormed out of the door straight into storm Bertha or whatever she was called! The wind certainly ruffled my feathers as I set off towards the prom. As part of my training I'm going to run as much trails and off road as I can this year and this run was no exception.

 I was headed to North Walney to the nature reserve to run through the dunes and along the beach. Torrential rain soon joined the party and I just ran through it. I let the wind push me around and the rain saturate me. I was so down, so exhausted and so upset.

I was soon at the airfield that borders the Nature reserve and I made my way across the flooded path, splashing carelessly through the water. The puddles were deep and freezing, soaking me with every step in muddy water. My mood started to lift as I carried on to the labyrinth of pathways that snaked through the marsh grasses and dunes. The wind was behind me and pushed me towards the Northern tip of Walney, over hills, dunes and marshes. It was a great trail run and I was starting to enjoy myself. I always wear plenty of layers so I was warm enough as the storm continued its freezing barrage on me. My mind started to ease out of its blackness and the joy of my run came to the front, flooding my mind and body much more than the rain did.
North Walney from above - my trail running playground!
At the end of the Dunes I turned back around straight into the wind. I hadn't thought about the return leg and it was going to be a long hard slog back home. I slid down the last dune, gliding over the wet sand onto the pebbly shoreline. The tide was out and just starting its return so I pounded onto the flats, splashing in the cold water. It was exhilarating. It was a race between the tide and I to the end of the beach where a jetty  reached out. Could I get there first? I pushed forward into the driving rain and wind. Head down,  slow and steadily plodding over the wet surface. There were a few tributaries filling up from the oncoming tide,fast flowing and blocking my path. What the hell, i thought, I was soaked already.

I splashed through the first one, ankle deep. I waded through the next knee deep and nearly had to swim through the last it was so deep, my dangly bits caught the brunt of the freezing water and instantly shriveled up, giving me a sharp intake of breath. I seriously hoped everything would "come down" after I warmed up. My lower half was soaking, cold and a rubbing, chafing feeling was coming form between my legs. "That will be sore after" I told myself. I loved splashing through the water and pushing myself hard against the elements, it was making me feel much better.

As I approached the jetty the tide had nearly caught me. I glanced out to sea to see what I could see and all that I could see was some windsurfers. I instantly thought, you idiots you must be fucking mental. I looked down at myself - totally soaked, caked in sand and mud, freezing my balls off and knee deep in the Irish sea. I laughed out loud - it takes one to know on I suppose. A windsurfer was making his way to the jetty and we both nodded, acknowledging each other. I love that nod from a fellow sportsperson, it like saying "respect", "well done", "nice going" and in this instance "your as mad as me!" . I smiled and ran up the jetty to join the coastal path.

The path was my usual haunt from West shore to Biggar Bank and I ran the length of it into the wind. It was tough going and the wind really picked up at one point, totally halting my progress. The gusts continued as I trekked along through the mud and over the flooded, rocky ground. I finally came to the Round house at Biggar Bank and joined the road to go home. With the wind behind me again I coasted back home. Once there I looked at the clock, Id been out about 1hr 40min. I did the maths and worked out that Id done about 10 miles without thinking about it. Wow! I was totally buzzing, I loved that run and I felt much better. I stripped off and showered for about half an hour enjoying the red hot water but not the stinging coming from the chafing between my thighs.

This is why I run, the release is incredible. There is something about running against mother nature. It strips away everything around you, the world, your problems, your life and just leaves you vs you.
I bloody love it!

Friday 29th January about 4 miles (promise I will keep this one short!)

Id had a hard week at work. It was really busy with lots of room change overs and random first aid casualties to attend to so I was ready for a run out. I got home and Oliver was out with his carer so I had 30 mins to spare. I donned my running attire along with a head torch and headed up to the airfield again. It was dark by the time I reached the path and my head torch carved out a tunnel in the rain. The ground was still flooded so I plowed through the puddles to the beach. I turned towards home and ran along the beach path, enjoying the freedom and isolation. I put my foot down a bit to see where my fitness was and I was pleased to see I dipped under 8 min miles for a mile. It felt hard but I enjoyed the change of pace, nowhere near my 5k pace but a step in the right direction. I made my way home and jumped in a hot shower.
I felt like I was running much stronger today, a good sign moving forward. Hopefully my fitness is slowly returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment