Wednesday 27 January 2016

Trail Running Camp Weekend with the Endurance Store

Trail running base camp

It had finally arrived: the weekend Id been looking forward to for so long. I had booked onto a trail running base camp in the lakes and it would be the first time would be away from Joanne and Oliver. As you might have read, I was worried I couldn't go because I had broken my toe some 4 weeks earlier. It had healed(ish) and I could run on it comfortably. However, my fitness had ebbed away over the weeks but I was determined to enjoy it either way.
It would also, and probably most importantly, be a well needed rest bite for me. Caring for both my wife and son had taken it out of me recently and I was looking forward to the break. I still felt guilty leaving them for a couple of days and I suppose a little bit selfish. Even though I shouldn't, I always do when I'm doing something for myself.
I had organised for Oliver to stay with my sister and Joanne's Mum would be on hand for her. I left on Friday afternoon feeling content that everyone would be alright while I was away. I had cooked, cleaned, ironed and tidied so nothing needed to be done until my return on Sunday. I drove up to Grasmere and found my way to Thorney Howe Hostel where I would be staying or more correctly “bunking” for the weekend.
Stunning views from the Hostel
 After meeting the very friendly owner, he directed me to the bunkhouse where I met some of the other runners. Everybody was so friendly and welcoming it made me feel very at ease. We had a night run organised for those who could make it so I got changed and headed out with the group.

Night Run:
It wasn't a bad evening for a run, the moon was waxing, lighting up the cloudy sky and giving us an occasional glimpse of the surrounding area. We ran gently through Grasmere and headed up to Easedale Tarn, ascending a rocky path that was slick with rainwater. It felt so good to be running again, out in the middle of the countryside in the crisp and fresh night air. Sour Milk Gill roared to my right, raging from the recent heavy rainfall. The instructor told us it was normally a trickle and not the fast flowing rapid it had become. It was no wonder this was one of the most heavily effected areas of the winter floods. Once we had all reached the tarn, we were instructed to switch off our head torches and I looked upon the black water under the moonlight. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, more and more details came into view giving me a breathtaking picture of the still yet very full tarn. After a few moments at the top we descended the slippy path and made out way back to the hostel. It was a lovely introduction to the weekend.

After the run some of us arranged to go for something to eat in Grasmere. Nine of us walked into the village looking for a pub or restaurant. We found a few but they were all closed, the recent floods decimating much of the trade in the area. Just as we were about to give up we spotted a hotel with a lounge bar. We ploughed in to the 4 star hotel and ordered some food, hoping to eat in the lounge. The waitress took our order and informed us we had to eat in the dining room. To our shock, it was a 4 star restaurant, candle lit, quiet and full of well dressed diners. We all made our way to the table and enjoyed a well earned but expensive drink. Considering no-one knew anyone, we were suddenly laughing and joking, swapping stories and enjoying each others company. A fire alarm and impromptu evacuation stopped us mid flow but only added to the enjoyment of the night. After some really good food (it was 2 rosette after all !!!) and a few more pints, we walked back to the hostel and got our heads down ready for a full day of activities on the Saturday.

Running with the poles
After an early start and a light breakfast we all headed out for the first activity of the day. We would be introduced to walking poles used for Nordic walking and could be used in Ultra marathons. I must admit that I had always been a bit dubious about using walking poles for running but I was willing to give it a good go. 

After a brief training session we set off along the “Coffin Trail” - so called as it was the route taken to carry the dead from nearby Rydal to the church at Grasmere. It is a fairly easy trail which gets rocky in a few places and gives great views across the Valley, overlooking Grasmere and Rydal water. Using the poles was very interesting and certainly helped when going up hill, the extra push from my upper body definitely made ascending easier. We made our way along the trail and started to pick up the technique, pushing harder into the ground and propelling my weight along. We reached a hillside underneath Loughrigg and we were shown some more ways to use the poles including skipping!, bounding and descending. It was really good fun and we all seemed to get a lot our of the session.
The return run took us down Red Bank and back to the Hostel in Grasmere. We had about a hour to spare before the next part of our course so I took some time out and grabbed a quick snack. Then we were straight back into it. We were having a training session in the park with last years Lakeland 100 winner Paul Tierney.

Playing in the Park.
The group stood around in the cool afternoon air as we listened to Paul. He was a practitioner of natural movement and showed us many of the natural exercises we could use to strengthen and better mobilize our bodies. The first thing we did was to play some games. 
The games were really fun way to introduce us all and soon had us moving around, warming up and having a laugh. My favourite was a balancing game (more like a lack of balancing game). As 2 groups we both stood in a line facing each other about an arms length apart. Then you both put your palms up infront of you (like you were going to play Pat-A-Cake), plant your feet and try to unbalance your opponent with just your raised hands. I was great fun and soon sneaky tactics and feints came into play as everyone twigged how to play it. It was so enjoyable and such good fun, we all forgot that we were adults.

Once we had all warmed up, Paul showed us some exercises to do and we all made our way across the muddy grass Duck walking, shuffling and hopping, it was great. To finish the session, Paul had set us up a circuit of workouts to do. There were weighted squats, single leg jumps, and ring hanging to mention but a few. I could feel some muscles being used that hadn't seen any movement in a while and knew I would be tight the day after. I didn't care, I was having a great time. After a warm down game we headed back to the Hostel, exhausted but contented.

Night Navigation
I had a quick shower and headed back to the main room in the hostel for the days final session – Map reading skills followed by a practical night navigation route . The instructor Charlie was very easy to follow and I soon brushed up on my navigational skills at the talk. We all got changed and headed out into the hills for a night navigation training.
It was a darker night than the previous one so visibility was quite poor. The only light came from our head torches as we made our way along a trail towards Easedale tarn again. The difference this time was that we were not being led, we had to navigate it ourselves. 
It was interesting to open ourselves up to the night, listening to nature for clues as to our whereabouts and looking for collection points along the trail (gates etc on the map that would let you know where you are).
Checking the map
 I really got a lot out of this, giving me more experience for my race in the summer that would be, in parts, under darkness. We reached our destination and carried onto a different path which joined the Coast to Coast Route.
We wound our way back to Grasmere and the hostel, showered and changed ready for the group meal. The hosts of the hostel had worked very hard and produced a gorgeous steak pie with vegetables and potatoes. This was followed up with home-made sticky toffee pudding and a coffee. We finished off the night with some great conversation and a few pints. What a cracking day.

Long Sunday Run
After a few hour sleep I awoke and packed my bag. We had to be out of the hostel that morning before our long fell run. We all moved our cars into Grasmere and set off on a navigation course that had been provided the night before. The co-ordinates were scattered along part of the Lakeland 100 route and would let me see some of the trails I would be running come the summer.

This is my homework!
We split into two groups, one group running at a quicker pace. I was in the quicker group and almost regretted it as the front runner pushed off at a hard pace. Id not trained or ran for nearly two months and I instantly felt the pace. I didn't feel too good but shoved it to the back of my mind and pushed forward, knowing we would be hiking up an ascent soon where I could catch up.
The route took us out of Grasmere and over the crag to Chapel Stile. It was a good climb and the wind whipped up as soon as we crested the top, making it hard going for a few minutes. We dropped down the other side and onto the Cumbrian way. 
Down we go
We headed North West along the trail up to Great Langdale before turning south to circumnavigate Lingmoor Fell. I kept my wits about me and started to commit the route to memory as this was a good stretch of my forthcoming Ultra route. In fact it would be about mile 94 of my 100 mile race so I would be exhausted by the time I got to that point.
From there we made our way to Little Langdale and headed back toward Grasmere. Normally I could take the run and distance in my stride – it was about 16 miles, but I had nothing left as we came over the top by Elterwater. I had to suck it up and push on as the pace quickened again.
I was really hurting but kept on moving along, it occurred to me that it was good mental training for when things get tough in races, so I kept with it. I slipped to the back of the group and struggled on just managing to keep up. After a fast slog on the flat path to Skelwith Bridge we turned up to Loughrigg. The climb was long and arduous but eventually the top came in sight. A few of the group carried on to the Summit of Loughrigg Fell but I had nothing left. All that remained was a steep and rocky descent into Grasmere an a mile or so on the main road. I used everything I had left just getting to the car and I was so glad to see the car park.
I was a little bit embarrassed by my lack of fitness but I knew I had good reason in a broken toe, so I didn't chastise myself too much. At the car I slipped on some dry clothes and wolfed down a pasta salad. A few of us headed into Grasmere to grab a coffee before departing. One of the lads spotted some home made pasties on the counter and I treated myself to a Beef and Stilton one and it was amazing.

It was only an hours drive home and I thought about the weekend as I made my way home. I had really enjoyed myself, pushing myself hard but also enjoying not having to think about anyone else for a change. I knew my fitness was going to be an issue but Im sure it will be back soon with a bit of hard work. The weekend had worked wonders on me, clearing my mind and giving me a new focus for the coming months. I decided that I was going to come away from road racing this season and concentrate on trail running instead. I just love being in the open countryside, its so uplifting and energizing, I love it.


A big thanks the organizers of the Base camp: The Endurance Store, especially Rich and Dan who led us expertly all weekend and always had time for our many questions. Thanks also to Charlie and Nic for the pole work and map reading and to the owners of the Thorney Howe Hostel who were very hard working and welcoming throughout our whole stay. What a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment