Wednesday 9 March 2016

Just get out there!

Wednesday 9th March

I was off work today and Id found out last night, Joanne was going for lunch for her mums birthday. I had only one thing in mind. Not housework, not DIY, just running (weve just got a small carers allowance so weve got a lady in a couple of hours a week to clean to help me, I still have to tidy and other stuff, but she will dust and hoover etc. Shes lovely and Im starting to get the benefit from it - by getting out for a run!!). My head was still all over the place from the last week so a few hours running by myself would do me the world of good.

 I used to feel really guilty when I went out for a few hours, worrying about home, but Ive realized just how important it is for my mental and physical health to get out and away. I can care for my family much better when my mind is clear.

I dropped a very reluctant Oliver off at school, I even had to take him into school this morning, he was so anxious! Poor kid, I hope we can get to the bottom of his worries. I nipped back home and grabbed my stuff, checked on Joanne and headed out. I returned late afternoon and Oliver was out with his carer so I grabbed a quick hot bath and made dinner. I played with Oliver for a while before his bed time and then sat down to write this.

Running: 17.72 miles / 4hrs 19 min / 14.39 min mile avg / 3,106 ft ascent

My plan was to run a loop from Rydal, through Gramere, over to Dungeon Ghyll and the Langdales then back over Loughrigg Fell to Rydal. I knew most of the route but still took my map and compass.

The journey up was full of road works and tail backs. It took me 1hr 10 min to get the 30 miles to Rydal! I wanted to run for about 4hrs, which, with a lunch stop, the terrain and hills would be about 16 miles. I eventually parked up and got kitted up ready for my run. A big part of today's run was to try my new Mountain King Trail Blaze Trekking Poles. I had just got them and was dying to use them. I set off towards Rydal Hall at a steady pace. I knew most of the run would be slow or even hiking pace once I got off the beaten track so I picked the pace up on the flat sections.

I climbed up from Rydal to the Coffin trail which runs along the hillside to Grasmere. Its a really nice trail with great views of Rydal and Grasmere waters, far below. It felt so good to get out, away form my life and problems at home and just be a runner, to just be me ( I don't mean that in a nasty way, its just good to occasionally separate myself for a few hours).  The trail wound its way along the fell side, undulating gently and offering my a really good warm up for what was to come. I was soon at Dove Cottage, Wordsworth's humble home and ran past into Grasmere. I was headed straight through the sleepy village and up to Easedale Tarn.

At the end of a small road section the valley opened up in front of me, offering me a wonderful view of my running route. The usually tiny Easedale beck was roaring down the hillside, looking from a distance like a whitewater rapid.
Easedale Back, you can see the trail snaking its way up in the left of the picture
The trail up to the tarn was a rocky staircase all the way to the top. I got my trekking poles out and started my assault. The poles were a massive help. Utilizing my upper body strength meant my legs werent working as hard and didn't tire at all on the ascent. I strode up the trail and passed lots of walkers who looked at me like I was from another planet. It was quite cold and they were all wearing heavy jackets, woolly hats and gloves. I had a pair of shorts on and my sleeves rolled up! I was really warm and enjoyed the cooling feel of the cold air on my skin.

Gratuitous Selfie as usual!
I soon reached the Tarn, high above Grasmere and pushed on, climbing higher along the trail. I was headed up to Seargent man but half way up the trail the mountain wind picked up and the temperature plummeted. I sheltered for a minute and studied the map. The cold wind was coming from the North so I dropped down a few feet and skirted the south side of the crags instead, sheltered more from the wind and not out on the exposed tops. I had plenty of spare layers with me but I didn't want to chance it.

Looking down at Easedale Tarn
I climbed up under the very rocky Eagle crag and hugged the side of it. Over the ridge I could see Chapel stile behind and below me and knew I was headed in the correct direction. I continued along the fell top and came across some snow.
Snow Joke
The further along I got the more snow there was, it was a wonderful sight. At this point it was lunch time so I found a rocky alcove out of the biting wind and grabbed some lunch.

Lunch Break
I didn't stop for too long and made my way along to Stickle Tarn. There was a decent path down from there to the road, far below in Great Langdale Valley. Because I was holding my trekking poles, my hands weren't moving. They became really cold and I lost feeling in one finger. I wiggled my fingers for a while but they weren't warming up in my gloves. I needed to sort them out and soon. I came to the tarn and dropped down the slick, rocky trail. Once I was out of the wind and snow I stopped for a flapjack and thrust my hands under my top and into my armpits. They soon thawed and I continued down. Once at the bottom I looked back at the path Id just traversed. I was glad I wasn't going up it!

My Sister had made me another batch of flapjack and its incredible. mmmmmm

Looking back at Dungeon Ghyll, Id just come down there!

The Langdales
From the Dungeon Gill it was a relatively flat trail along the Cumbrian Way, through Elterwater and on to Skelwith Bridge. It was great to pick up my feet again and get into a decent rhythm of running. After about 4 miles I turned off and headed up to Loughrigg Fell for my final ascent of the day.
I skirted around Loughrigg Tarn then shot straight up the back of the steep fell. Halfway up I turned around and admired the view.

The  Western Lake Distrinct and Coniston Old Man
What a sight it was , looking into the western lakes at all the snow capped hills, mountains and peaks. I let the view fill me with its energy and strode on up towards the top of the fell. I passed a couple of walkers and one of them congratulated me on making the ascent look easy. I was really pleased with the comment and it just shows what a difference the poles make. I took a quick picture from the top then headed down towards Grasmere Water.

A view of Grasmere Water.
A group of college students were coming up and I shot past them descending at quite a rate, one of the lads offered up a high five and I took it on the way past, smiling to myself as I shot down the fell. I only had a mile to go until I reached the car, so I pushed it a bit harder. It was great to feel strong at the end of a tough run and I made it back to the car out of breath but feeling great. I got changed, had a stretch and drove home.
Me and two tasty poles!

My trekking poles had been the star today, I had dismissed using them before my trail running weekend back in February, but after learning how to use them, they are going to be invaluable in my future ultras. It had been a tough but fabulous day of running!

No comments:

Post a Comment