Thursday 27 August 2015

A Bolt of inspiration

Ive had a fairly busy day today. Early morning run, then Oliver and I went for our holiday hair cut. I was so proud of Oliver, he did really well and only got a bit agitated towards the end. I then took him to trade in all his old Peppa Pig and Thomas DVDs for a new Xbox Game. Hes growing up so fast!  After lunch I got the ironing board out (I hate ironing.. have I ever told you?) and put all the name labels into his new school uniform.
To take my mind off it I watched the World Championships on the laptop and was totally blown away by some amazing performances. I wanted to go for a run there and then especially after watching Mr Bolt! Yes hes full of bravado but he was under pressure today at the 200m from Gaitlin. He stamped his authority on the race despite the season hes had. An amazing and inspirational performance. I was really impressed with the GB 200m sprinter Dena Asher-Smith. Shes only 19, ran perfectly and smashed her semi final. Tomorrows Womens 200m final is going to be a belter!

 After I finished the ironing I had a bit of time to do some cooking. I love cooking and I used to work in restaurants when I was younger so I know my way around a kitchen!

Today Ive been mostly hungry! On a serious note I need to watch my food intake especially after a hard session like yesterdays tempo. Im normally good at noticing if I need refuelling and will adjust my food intake accordingly.


Running: 7.20 miles  9:13/mi  1:03 hours Recovery Pace.

My alarm went off about 6am this morning. I got up, had an espresso to light the fire and set out for a recovery run. I definitely needed it after yesterdays tempo run, I was as stiff as hell this morning.

One good thing about my loop circuit is if I need to cut the run short Im only ever about a mile or two from home. I didn't need it today though as the stiffness passed about mile 3. I know my body well enough now to judge whether or not its an injury or just DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness after a hard workout or run). Because of the length of my next challenge I have to listen to my body and adjust training as required. There is nothing to be gained by training when your hurt or too tired.

It was quite blustery this morning (again) but living and training on a island in the Irish Sea you learn to deal with it, they don't call it "Windy Walney" for nothing! In fact Im sure its in the record books for being the windiest lowland in England. As I mentioned earlier, my right quad and glutes were really tight so I took it carefully, walking in parts to stretch my legs out. I carried on and as the blood started pumping I felt much better and got into a steady rhythm. I ran my usual route and made my way back home without any issues. Just as I crossed the last road, a ghost runner passed me from an echo of my run yesterday. I thought back to how quickly I had ran yesterday compared to today. Myself from yesterday, sped past, breathing hard. He shouted "morning" as he passed and
I chuckled and said "See Ya" in my mind.

A nice gentle run that was easier towards the end when I warmed up.

Once home, I had a gentle stretch and I was ravenous so I had some cereal and a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter.

Strength and Core work tonight and Ive got a hill reps set to do tomorrow.


Food Diary

Breakfast:
2x Protein Fuel bricks with skimmed milk, honey and berries, slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter.

Lunch:
Mackerel and Quinoa salad, topped with chilli flavoured seed mix

Snacks:
Oliver and I shared a fruit platter, Asda Oat bar, 1x Peanut butter Oreo (which Ive never had before and it was bloody lovely), Homemade humus and a cracker, banana, Homemade Banana and apple oat bar.

Fruit Platter, Mackerel Salad, Banana Oat Bars, Stuffed Chicken

Dinner:
Chicken Breast, wrapped in Prosciutto ham and stuffed with basil and asparagus, brown rice, homemade tomato ragu, roast vegetables (peppers, aubergine, courgette, fennel bulb, asparagus, red onion, smoked paprika + olive oil)

Homemade Banana, Apple and Oat Bar

Drinks:
Espresso, a few coffees and lots of bottled water.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment