Saturday 29 August 2015

Planning for a 30 miler

Quite a busy day today. I let myself have a little sleep in today and woke about 8:50am feeling refreshed. I had a ten miler to do today as well as a "big shop" ready for next weeks self catering holiday in a caravan. Joannes Mum took her out for lunch today to cheer her up a bit and Oliver was at my Mums so after I had been shopping and put it all away, I had just enough time to run before everyone returned to make my life hell (only joking!!!). 

Running : 10.49 miles  7:51/mi  1:22 hours

Because Im running 30 miles tomorrow the 10 miler needed to be fairly easy so I opted to stay on the island. I used my usual 7 mile circuit + a 1.5 mile extension out and back towards South End of Walney. I noticed earlier that the sun was very hot when it wasn't covered in cloud, so I slapped on some factor 50 before I set out. If I ever go over 8 miles I always take my bottle belt with me. It has two 300ml bottles on it and I needed them today. It was a muggy run, even though there was a stiff breeze coming in from the sea and I was sweating after only a couple of miles. I felt really good throughout the run and noticed my pace had picked up a bit so I went with it, running to feel. When I got home and looked at my Garmin (I have it in watch mode when I run so I cant see the pace) I had been running at 7:51/mi pace which was a bit fast for todays run, I hope it doesn't bite me tomorrow.

Overall a good run teeing me up nicely for 30 tomorrow.

Planning for 30 miles:

I had an idea of a route in my head based on some other runs Ive done added together. I thought if I went from Walney to Rampside, then along the coastroad to Ulverston, have breakfast up by the Hoad Monument then come back via the main road, taking in Askam Brickworks should get me 30miles. I plotted it on Garmin Route Planner and it works out about 29.8 miles! Good guess or what! I also needed it to drop into Dalton so I can pick up some water to refuel. I got all my gear ready and Ive set my alarm for 4:30am. I plan to be out for 5am and back at 10am averaging a 10 min/mile easy pace. Heres my kit for tomorrow:

LSR Fuel: I fuel every 30mins after 90min  of running so Im looking at 7 or 8 fuel gels or bars. I prefer to alternate gel and solids every 1/2 hour and Ive found it works well for me. Ive got some nuts, seeds and dried fruit for my half way breakfast too!

Heres my planned route:

Garmin Connect - Ultra Training LSR 30 miles

Kit for the run:
Salomon Vest, Twin Skin Compression Shorts and Compresport Calf Guards

Ultimate Direction SJ race vest, 2x 500ml bottles, Cap with neck shade, Electrolytes,
Lipbalm, Flapjack, 3x oat bars, 5x gels, bag of nuts and seeds, sports cam, mobile phone,
first aid pack, waterproof jacket, £2 for water

Food Diary:

Pre Shopping Breakfast ;)
2x "Fuel" protein wheat bricks with honey, skimmed milk and blueberries

Post Run Lunch:
3 eggs scrambled on two sliced of wholemeal toast with a bit of smoked salmon on top!

Dinner:
Youngs Basa Fillet (using up the food in the freezer!) with Tomato Risotto Rice, chilli wilted spinach, asparagus and baby co
Basa Fillet with Risotto


Snacks:
Apple, banana, oat bar, Dark Chocolate Kinder Bueno (very naughty, I know), nuts and seeds

No Strength work on my back to back weekend long runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment