Sunday 28 February 2016

A game of two halves plus extra time

Sunday 28th February.

The alarm went off at 5am and I got straight up. I was meeting my friends for our weekly Sunday long slow run. This week we were running the last half marathon of the 40 mile Keswick to Barrow walk that 2 of the lads are running in May. Joanne had a really bad night sleep again and I heard her get up at 3am as she kept keeping me awake. She came back to bed just before I rose.
After an espresso I got dressed and headed out into the cold. I was freezing in my shorts and the cars heater blew cold air on me for half of the journey. We were meeting at the end of our run and getting a lift up to Lowick 13 miles away. Phil was there in his car and he had kindly (and stupidly) offered us a lift at 6am on a cold Sunday morning. It was a really nice thing for him to do and it saved us having to drive back to the start to get cars.
After the glorious run I returned home and showered. I decided we were going out as a family today, the sun was shining for once and it would do us all the world of good. Oliver kicked off straight away and got undressed twice after I had dressed him, he just didnt want to go out! I did and after some coersion and bribery I managed to change his mind.

We decided on a trip to Morecambe, only about 50 mins away, its a small seaside town with a Sunday Market, chip shops and arcades. Weve been before with Oliver and its not too overpowering for him like Blackpool is. Or so we thought. The journey took nearly 90 mins as there was road works and Sunday  idiot drivers, so  Oliver was already wound up. We pulled up at a car park and he shouted it was too busy and noisy. I switched off the engine to show him how quiet it was but his mind was made up. I managed to get him out of the car and walk 100 yards before returning to the car after a nightmare wait in the fish shop.

 An alternative of KFC was round the corner and I couldn't see a way to get to it by car. So after a nip across a road and a purchase of food, we realized they hadn't put the drinks in the bag and I had to go back! Oliver went mad and it was turning into one of those days. We made our way to the park to eat a quiet lunch but there was a bloody crash on the main road so by the time we reached the park our lunch was cold.

More kicking off ensued and we managed to calm him down and took him into the play area. He enjoyed it for about 30 minutes before climbing to the top of a platform and freezing, not being able to get down the rope he had been half pushed up by me. I had to go to the top and virtually pull him down. He went totally mad a minute later having a full meltdown in the park. I had to restrain him and he tried to bite me several times.

The whole park of parents looked on with that look I always get! It feels like they think Im a bad parent with a naughty child and it pisses me off! I got him moving and eventually got him and Joanne to a bench. After he had calmed down he got really upset and told me I should have listened to him at the start of the day, that he didnt want to go out. I actually had to agree with him. What should have been a short, pleasurable day out turned into a hellish nightmare. Joanne was really bad in the car and Oliver was upset. I was stressed to hell and really down. What a wonderful day!

I got us home in one piece and Joanne went to bed for a rest (travelling knocks her for 6) and Oliver went for a chill out. The house was an absolute tip, especially the kitchen, as Id been at work last night and rushed around this morning. I really, badly wanted to sit down, my legs were knackered and my brain was shot but I couldn't leave it and set to the tasks at hand.

My mobile phone rang and it was the tour manager from tonight's show at work. He couldn't get hold of the venue (it happens our phone lines had gone off for some reason with our supplier) and he was waiting outside. I quickly got ready, checked on Oliver and Jo then sped down to work to let them in. I sorted out the problem and got home an hour later, got back into my jobs, made tea and put Oliver in the bath. After I put him to bed, my calves, ankles and legs were in some dire need of attention so I watched last nights MOTD whilst inflicting some pain with a massage ball and a foam roller. It really hurt but it definitely loosened all the fascia, tendons and muscles in my lower legs.  I limped up to bed after a bizarre, upsetting and tiring day. Definitely a game of two haves +ET.


Running 13.23 miles / 2hrs 4min / 9.26 min miles / 1003 ft gain

We set out as dawn along the last 13 miles of the Keswick to Barrow route. The sun was rising behind us and washed the sky with a violet pallette as we ran towards home. We all had a really good catch up and a real laugh as we ran together and even stopped for a few running selfies. It was a great way to take my mind off the run as my legs were sore after yesterdays Parkrun. The time passed really quickly and it was a good run, with good friends on tired legs. The route took us up and over the moors with over 1000ft of ascent. We all finished the run, stretched out and headed our separate ways.


Food Diary
Run - Banana Oat Bar, 1x SIS gel
Post run breakfast - Blueberry GF pancakes left from yesterday.

Lunch
Half a cold zinger burger from KFC and about 6 fries (bloody horrible and I didnt even think about the Gluten in the soggy bun - its a good job Im not intolerant)

Dinner
Homemade Red Thai Chicken Curry with Brown Rice

Glass of Red wine that I seriously earned today!


No comments:

Post a Comment