Saturday 13 February 2016

Ambleside to Coniston Recce - Miles 83 to 100 of the Lakeland 100

Saturday 13th February.

After a semi decent nights sleep I woke to the sound of Olivers voice. He was chatting away to himself in his bedroom as he often does. I laid there, smiling as I listened to his cheerful voice and random conversation for a while. Eventually  I got up and went downstairs shortly followed by Oliver. He was going to my Mums for the day, Joanne was resting and I was going for a run in the lakes. We both had breakfast, got ready and headed out. Oliver was happy when I got to my mums and settled quickly as he always does. This made me feel relaxed, I could put Oliver and Joanne to the back of my mind and have most of the day to myself. I'm off for the next few days with it being half term so my jobs and chores can wait for a day while I run.

As I left my mums I found an old CD in the car - "Lees Car Tunes". I couldn't remember what was o it and I was soon blasting out some class tunes (well I think they are class) as I drove to Coniston. Just try driving to Fleetwood Macs - "The Chain" without feeling like an F1 driver, Brilliant!I was really enjoying myself!
I arrived at Coniston, parked my car, grabbed my kit and walked to the bus stop. I had 10 minutes spare so I nipped in a tiny cafe and got an amazing americano for the journey. I got on the bus for a one way trip to Ambleside, the start of today's run. I was running the last leg of the Lakeland 100 over the fells back to Coniston. It was a very scenic but drawn out bus ride. I thought it would have been a small shuttle bus, nipping between Lakeland Towns, but no it was a 38 seater bus! Try getting that round the lanes on a busy Saturday. Stop start, stop start went the journey and I was absolutely busting for a pee when we eventually arrived in Ambleside. My start point was Rothay Park, a park I know well (sounds a bit seedy that!) but I know if from my last two big races. I knew there were toilets there so I quickly made my way there. I went to open the door but it was bloody locked and the pee was coming! It was a choice, piss myself or pee in the bushes, so a quick glance told me I was alone and I was very relieved!

Running: 17.45 miles - 3hrs52min - Elevation Gain 2,628ft

I walked to a park bench and got my bag ready, running cap on and took off my tracksuit bottoms. I chose to wear my trail shorts and compression socks today, together with a windproof Ronhill top and a base layer - all black (why is trail running gear always black?). I took a long, deep breath of the fresh air and set off. I needed to cross the river Rothay foot bridge but I was met with 6ft high fences. This had been one of the badly effected areas in the December Floods and the bridge had been badly damaged. A quick look at the map and there was a road bridge half a mile down the road. I ran the first mile just to get to the other side of the bridge!!! Oh well, I thought, lets get started.

Ambleside to Skelwith Bridge

This was a cheeky little up and down path over "Under Loughrigg", a trail that skirts the southern fells of Loughrigg Fell. It was a steep climb straight away, first up an access road then onto the rocky trails beyond. The sky was really clear and I strode up the steep hill. Once at the top (and a bit warmer) I was greeted with an amazing view, looking straight toward my destination, Coniston Old Man, far in the distance. I had traversed this trail a few times before on races and days out so I was familiar with the route. I felt really good as I descended the fell, passing walkers and families, greeting them all with a hello, afternoon or "MOVE OUT OF THE F£$KING WAY" (I didn't really, I'm a very polite runner). I soon reached Loughrigg Tarn and consulted the map as there were a few choices ahead. I navigated the tracks and road junctions and steadily made my way down the hill to Skelwith Bridge.

Looking across Under Loughrigg toward Coniston Old Man
Skelwith Bridge to the Langdale Pikes

This was the flattest section of todays run and I managed to pick up the pace for a few miles, enjoying the stunning views all around me and watching the high, snow capped peaks of the mountains draw ever closer. The path along Elterwater is part of the Cumbrian way and was full of people walking dogs, enjoying the mild weather and the stunning vistas all around. I had been so lucky with the weather today and I enjoyed the bright sunshine while it lasted.
Elterwater

I ran on, past Elterwater to Chapel Stile. Just past the slate quarry I spotted a very quaint Church stood on the hillside across the valley made from slate and I bet it was steeped in history. I wondered who had attended it in the past, perhaps Potter, Wainwright, or Wordsworth. Now that would have been a congregation!
I moved on through Chapel stile and ran along a very flat path at the very bottom of the valley. It was flanked by huge, steep, ferny fells and was headed off by the jagged peaks of Harrison Stickle. I felt very small and isolated at that moment,  all my problems and troubles seemed insignificant in the grand scheme of life.
Great Langdale Valley
 I love the way I think and feel when I run, its very deep and I find out things about myself every time I lace up my trainers! After the flat section, the trail skirted the lower hills of Linmoor fell and suddenly became quite technical underfoot. I pulled my focus down from the view and concentrated on my footing, flitting over the rocky and moist path. My body instantly replied and I slipped into my focus, preempting each step, plotting a way through the stones, picking which rock to step on, which ones to miss, where to twist, where to turn - it was bliss. I love technical running, however I might not be saying this on race day, this will be about mile 92 and every rock will feel like a dagger!
Harrison Sickle above Dungeon Ghyll
After a descent down some rocky steps, the trail turned onto the lower slopes and into boggy ground. It was hard going on the soft, wet earth and I slipped a few times. I slowed my pace and made my way across the muddy path. The B road across the valley turned 90 degrees and that was my cue to turn too. It was a steep incline and a slow climb ensued over to Blea tarn.

Gratuitous running selfie no1


At the top of the hill, a quick glance at my watch told me it was lunch time so I parked my backside on the wet grass and dived into my pack. I sat eating a wrap whilst enjoying a stunning view of the mountains and crags all around.

Lunchtime view! Stunning
I spread out my map and orientated it to my surroundings taking in the names of the peaks and valleys. Id heard of many of them before but I didnt know where they were, infront of me was The Langdale Pikes, then ust west was Rossett Pike, Bowfell and Crinkle crag. Far west to my left was Cold Pike and Pike of Blisco, most of them topped with a dusting of snow, glistening in the afternoon sun and simply a stunning view. What a stunning spot to have lunch, even with a wet bum!

Langdale Pikes to Little Langdale

After I had packed up my lunch I crossed the road and set off towards Blea Tarn. The trail was easy going as I made my way through the forest that grows on the banks of the tarn.
The trail towards Blea Tarn
The next section was very technical again and turned quite "gnarly" at the base of the fell. Large boulder and rock stuck out at every angle and it was quite a job hopping from rock to rock, jumping and striding over the slippery, sharp stones.
Gratuitous running selfie No2
The trail led me across another bog and my mind slipped back to well over ten years ago. My wife and I used to walk in the lakes nearly every weekend before she became ill. We used to love packing the car up, heading out on a Sunday and exploring the hills. Except for one walk when we walked the very trail I was on now and we both ended up completely covered in mud. I really do miss those days and still hold out hope Joanne will get better and we can take to the hills once. Happy memories! I slipped out of my reverie and straight into a muddy patch. I laughed and grabbed my phone for a picture to show her later, remembering how much she hated that walk!
Bogged Down!
Across the bog was Wrynose Pass, a road that climbs high into the fells. On the roadside wall was a gate that is a mandatory check point on race day. I reached it took a bearing and strode down the road to Little Langdale.
A gate!
 After a short road section and a short climb I was above Little Langdale tarn and looking for the turn off towards Tiberthwaite. It was easy to find and I marched on up the trail, now only about 4 miles from Coniston.

Little Langdale to Coniston

I climbed up the well trodden path and along towards High Tiberthwaite. The area was covered with tiny slate quarries abandoned years ago no doubt. The trail was fairly rocky but not quite as technical as earlier so I soon found my self at a small farm down in the valley.



A sign post for Coniston informed me it was only 2 1/4 miles to go but a quick glace forward showed me it wouldnt be easy. A climb up to Tiberthwaite quarries waited for me and then Yewdale fells beyond. I reached the steps that went up to the quarry and took a deep breath, this was going to be an arduous climb come race day. I made my way up the path and up into the hills beyond. I kept the river on my right as I climbed, studying the map as Id never been here before.

Moving on up!
The path forked and I took what I thought looked like the correct path. The map was only a 1:40000 so the detail wasnt clear. I dropped down to the river and instantly knew Id gone wrong. It was a long climb and backtrack to get back to the correct path, so I had a look at the map. I could continue where I was and pick up the correct path round the corner. Time wasnt on my side so I pushed on and eventually got back on the right path. I think its really good to make the odd mistake, its the only way you learn! I stopped for a second an took a bearing.


 The path through the grass snaked along side Crook Beck, straight up the fell and over to coniston. So I planted one foot infront of the other and ascended out of the valley. Coniston Old Man loomed before me, covered in snow. Menacing and foreboding, yet majestic and magnificent in all its glory.

Coniston Old Man
 I was suddenly hungry and searched around my pack for some food. A rustling in my shoulder strap reminded me of the Jelly Babies Id put there last night. I plodded onward, munching on the sticky sweets. the burst of sugar hit my blood stream and pushed me to the top. I looked across at the Old man again and started my rapid descent into coniston. I switched off my brain, disengaged my brakes and went for it. must have looked totally out of control with my arms flailing, but I wasnt. I was in the zone, my brain picking a path, gravity pulling me down the slop, my feet twisting and bending. I plummeted down the technical trail towards the Blue Quarries at the foot of Coniston Old man and turned onto a road and down to Coniston. I made my way through the town with some odd looks from shoppers then to where my car was parked. I removed my gear and stretched out for a while thinking about my run.

My new backpack had held up well, it was easy to organise everything, the extra water lasted right to the end. It needed a bit of adjustment along the way but thats why I train with it!
It was a great route and I loved every second of it, even though parts were hard it was wonderful. My mood had lifted, my body energized and my soul full of contentment. I wrote a while ago the reason why I run, I cant sum it up better than I did then so here is an extract from a previous blog:

"This is the reason why I run. Why I push myself over and over again. Running in nature pushes me beyond what I ever thought I was possible of, reaching quite literally for new heights, searching for that elusive high. In these races I find the real me, hiding deep within my being, on top of the world surrounded by stunning mountains and fells. I find out something new about myself every time I run. Its wonderful. Its uplifting. Its now a part of me, ingrained into my personality, defining who I am."   - Lee Winter

I phone Joanne to let her know I was back at the car then grabbed a coffee and a flapjack from the garage and headed home. At home it was as if Id never been away, Oliver asked when tea was, the sink full of pots and washing ready to put in the machine, oh well, welcome back Lee! At least my mother in law had come up trumps. Earlier she had delivered and uncooked steak pie and took a bit of ironing for me. Sometimes its the little things...

After tea I settled down and wrote this blog, if youve got this far, well done. Sorry I get carried away when I write, I guess its like reliving the experience again. Im off for a hot bath and to finish the rest of the red wine. I hope you enjoyed my run, I certainly did :)

Food Diary:

Breakfast:
Porridge with Chia Seeds, Brasil Nuts and dried fruit

Lunch (from and amazing view point)
Falafel and Hummus wraps with a pack of fried and seasoned Butter Beans from Tesco (they are amazing, salty and full of carbs - but they shake like a bloody babys rattle in your bag!!

 Dinner
Gluten Free Steak Pie, oven chips and beans

Snacks
3x Peanut and Chocolate Brunch bars
Small bag of Jelly Babies

Drinks
Water with electrolites, coffee and 3/4 bottle of red win (because Im worth it!)

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment