Wednesday 10 February 2016

Feeling better, feeling faster!

Wednesday 10th February

I woke up felling a bit better but still a bit nauseous and yes if I was a weaker individual I could have called in a sickie, but after a recent 100% attendance letter from my boss for last year, I was reluctant to call one in and pushed myself to work. I felt a bit better as I walked to work in the cold winter air. I managed a bit of fruit in the morning and my lunch stayed down. I felt great by the end of the afternoon and walked home.
Oliver is always out on a Wednesday evening with his carer until 6:30pm which leaves me with an hour to rest!!! Yeah right - ME Rest, I think thats the first time them two words have ever been in the same sentence! Balls to resting, you can rest when your dead I say! I checked on Joanne, put my running kit on and sped out of the door.
After a cracking run I came back, showered, made tea, tidied up, put Oliver to bed and wrote this blog!

Running: 7.12miles   /   7.46min / mile avg  /  55 min.


I stepped out into the cool evening and after some warm up moves I shifted into gear and took off up the street. I didn't really have a plan of attack tonight so I ran to feel for a while letting my body dictate my pace. I reached the traffic lights at the prom and had to wait a minute or so to cross then I sped off up towards North Scale. I concentrated on my form and shifted my body-weight slightly forward, falling slightly but keeping an upright posture. I loosened off both my shoulders and kept by breaths deep and slow. I felt really good, light and strong.

The street lights ended on the outskirts of North Scale and I switched on my head torch, illuminating the road in front of me. I was quickly at the airfield and turned down my usual path. It was still waterlogged but it didn't halt my progress. I splashed straight through the icy water, the splashes felt like daggers lancing into my skin, they were that cold. It brought a sharp focus to my mind and I pushed through the mud and water to the Nature Trails.

The sun had just about set and painted a stunning orange backdrop behind the dark clouds, silhouetting the distant wind turbines and cast its dying light over the Irish sea in front of me. What n uplifting vista to run in front of! I turned north onto the trails and my light pierced the gloom, showing me the way through the dark bushes.

Everything looked so different in the dark and my body's innermost, ancient and primeval senses kicked into gear, making me fear the dark, making me see things that aren't there, making me long for the light, warmth and solace of home. I pushed those feelings deep inside, with rational thought they can be tamed - the two glowing eyes of the saber toothed tiger down the path are really a timid rabbit. The dark, oddly shaped, lumbering and moaning beast in the field is just a cow. The ghostly apparition running along side me is just my head torch dancing in my peripheral vision, Its all quite literally a trick of the light (or night). Over come your fears, rationalize them and move forward! Well its works for me.

After Id managed to lose the axe murderer, swamp beast and vampires!! I reached my turn around point and took a path Id never ran before. It took me over some dunes onto the beach and I quickly found a path back to the caravan park. I slipped into a trance like state, my arms out wide, my body acting on instinct as I pushed my pace quicker, becoming one with the terrain. I twisted and rode the wave like humps of the path, preempting them, molding my body shape to the undulations. It was an unbelievably good sensation as I ran, my mind seeming to smooth out the lumpy surface in front, my feet shaping to the terrain, it was wonderful.

I soon reached the hard surface of the road and ran passed the caravans with a huge and satisfying grin on my face. I was pushing myself a bit harder tonight, subconsciously testing and probing my fitness. It wasn't fully back yet but I felt great. Once back on the beach path, I pushed a little harder for the last three miles home, hitting consecutively quicker miles as I made my way down the dark path along side the sea. My last mile was a 6:55mile, Its no where near my "fit"pace for speed work but its a lot closer than I though I would be at this stage. I was buzzing as I reached the bottom of my street and I slowed to a walk to drop my heart rate, smiling and breathing deep.

What a wonderful, tough but rewarding run! With some hard work I hope I will be back to full fitness soon. My toe isn't sore anymore and seems to have healed well.

Food Diary


Breakfast:
Nothing, I was still a bit nauseous from yesterday but I managed an apple and some nuts later in the morning

Lunch
Homemade Thai coconut chicken with Brown Rice (last nights tea!)
Greek Yoghurt with nuts and seeds mixed in

Dinner:
Goan Salmon ; Salmon fillet rolled in Turmeric, pan fried and cooked with fish stock, garam masala and low fat garlic and herb cream cheese to make a sauce. Served with asparagus, crispy kale and wholegrain wild rice.

Drinks
Water,coffee, chocolate milk post run an a chocolate horliks before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment