Monday 8 February 2016

Small term goals, long term gains

After yesterdays run, as I mentioned on my previous blog, I was quite surprised that I had managed to run 8 miles in an hour. This might not be near my fastest time but it gives me a good base to work from. So this is the plan....

Obviously my ain aim is the Lakeland 100 mile race in July, but Im going to split the months up into short term goals. The first of which is going to be Lakeland Trails Cartmel Race. Its an 18k (11 mile) race over the fells around Cartmel.

Cartmel Trails

Im still nowhere near the level of fitness I was in October since my injury but Im back in the groove, so to say, and determined to get it back then take it to the next level!

How are you going to do it?, I hear you say.

Well, Ive got 5 weeks until the Trail race, so i reckon if I push hard and up my training intensity, I can get some of my fitness back. Ive put together a Tabata program to do three times a week along side my running so I should see some improvements within the time frame. Also by eating and sleeping properly I should get there.

Tabata training is high intensity interval training (HIIT) which (after a good warm up), do an exercise all out 100% for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds then repeat 8 times. Its hard but definitely worth it and it should shift some fat from my gut too!

Today:
I was on an early shift again today so Id made my lunch last night. After work I got home, made the dinner and put some washing on, then made a pasta for tomorrows lunch. Oliver had another great day at school, he seems to have settled down again, he even got 14 our of 14 on his weekly spelling test which makes it 100% 4 weeks in a row. Im so proud of him! Joanne is still really exhausted and has slept most of the day today, her ME seems to be in control at the moment.

After all that I wrote a plan for my exercises (using my GB Bootcamps knowledge) and set to them. Ive started to make a home gym in the garage and just need to paint the walls and put some matting down, but it will do for now.

Garage Gym 

Strength Training

I started with a 10 minute run on the treadmill for a gentle warm up then got stuck into my set.

First up was Plank PB, basically I have to hold the plank for a personal best every time. My base line set tonight was 4:10 seconds so Ive got to beat this - even if by a second, every time I do a set. Using this method I got up to 7 mins plank last October.

Tabata Set: 20sec on 10sec off x8 per exercise.
Press ups, sit ups, punchbag work, lunges,  then squats with a weighted shoulder press to finish.

I set off like a house on fire, pushing the ground away effortlessly for 10 press ups then got found out and nearly collapsed!! I really struggled with the sets but thats ok as it gives me loads of work to do and I love a challenge. Id taken a before picture of myself again to compare in 5 weeks time. Lets see what I can do!

After my exercises I showered and put Oliver to bed then wrote this then its time for my bed!

Im starting to feel good again and Im really focussed ready to assault my training. Bring it on!!

Food Diary:

Breakfast
Nutribullet smoothie with Kale, avocado, pineapple, blueberries, melon, cashew nuts and milled linseeds

Lunch
Smoked Piri Piri Mackerel Salad with Quinoa and wheatberries and Balsamic Vinegar

Mackerel Salad
Greek youghurt with granola

Dinner
Mushroom and asparagus risotto with herby chicken breast

Snacks
3x Apples, banana, nuts and seeds

Drinks
Lots of bottled water, coffee and a chocolate horlicks before bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment