Monday 22 February 2016

I feel the need....

Monday 22nd Febuary

It had been a hard night with Oliver last night, he gets very stressed and angry before he goes back to school after a term break. It took until nearly 11pm to get him to sleep so I was stressed going to sleep. I woke with the alarm at 7am and got Oliver sorted for school. Im off for two days this week, I ve had to use up my annual leave before the end of March. March is too busy, with too many staff already on leave in it so this was the best opportunity fo me to take them.
I was taking Oliver to school then taking the car for its MOT. I had decided to run back from the garage - its only a couple of miles away and if I added a little loop, I could make it a bit further if I wanted. I got ready into my running gear and took Oliver to school. He wanted a good play in the playground before school so I stood there freezing in my shorts! He went in apprehensive but happy and I delivered the car to the garage.
I went for a great run, had a hot bath, got the car back, did some shopping and went for Oliver. We had promised Oliver he could go to Pizza hut over half term but we never got round to it. He got upset late last night because we hadnt taken him so we agreed to go tonight. After a triple pepperoni pizza we came home, Joanne and Oliver went to their rooms and I finished off my jobs before writing this.

Running 11.11miles / Time 1:23:54 / Avg Pace 7:33 min miles

After a few warm up moves in the cold, I set off for a slow jog. I was already a couple of miles from home so I thought I would add a couple more on my way back there. My ankles were a bit stiff from yesterdays 10 miles so I spent the first mile loosening up, trying to get the blood into my joints. I was planning on running up Park road, over the top to Abbey road and back to Walney, probably about 5 miles in total.

As I warmed up along the flat section of road, I noticed I was running about 8 min mile pace and decided to let my body stick at this pace for a while, however my body disagreed, it wanted a to see a turn of pace today! After the first mile had ticked past, I felt amazingly good, my footsteps light, cadence high and my blood pumping. I slipped into focus and was running comfortably at 7:30 min mile pace, but my temperature was rising quickly. I stopped and struggled to peel off my running jacket and tie it around my waist, making me walk for about a minute before commencing again.
What a difference, I felt like I could breathe again and totally unconstrained. I pushed on and the adrenaline started to flow, powering me to continue the pace. I was breathing really well, keeping my body relaxed and my breaths deep and calm. I reached the top of Park road and my body and mind wanted to run, and run hard! I turned off my planned route and headed for St Helens Hill and Dalton.

 It was quite an undulating section, ending in a long steady climb to the top of Dalton. I pushed myself hard up the hill and surprisingly, recovered quickly at the top. I continued running down into Dalton, controlling my breathing and lifting my frame to get as much air in as possible. It felt wonderful, my heart was racing and my breaths deep but I felt totally in control. I turned briefly onto Abbey Road towards home but the sight of Dalton Cemetery hill spurred me on.

Before I knew it I was sprinting up the steep incline, powering my way to the top as I had done with Paul and Alastair yesterday. At the top I was clawing for breath, exhausted but determined to continue, I walked for a second to catch my breath then continued, still managing to keep my pace around 7:30 min miles. My mind quickly worked out a new route and I carried on over to Furness Abbey continuing the pace I had set.

My body suddenly, without warning, threw the towel in, "right, that's it, slow down and stop this nonsense" it shouted at me, but my mind, as resolute and stubborn as it is told my body in no uncertain terms to.. "shut the fuck up you baby" and drove my legs even harder. I pushed the throbbing in my legs to the back of my mind and concentrated on my form. I straightened up and relaxed my shoulders letting my arms swing easily, I slowed my breathing and focused on deep, belly filling breaths as I ran, eventually quieting my bods grumbling. I pushed my body beyond the pain and through the other side.

My mind started to think - "Right then Lee, we are going to be running back home on Abbey road soon and its only 3 miles from the Strawberry Pub. I could hear the cogs whirling in my mind and knew what was coming. Lets do a quick 5k home!

My mind was made up and I started to accelerate to a 20min 5k pace, about 6:45 min mile.  Abbey road is a good training ground but it is intersected all the way down by minor roads and traffic lighted main road junctions. As soon as I got some momentum up, I had to stop for traffic. This was the story all the way home, my time and pace still wasn't too bad (about 7 min mile) until I spotted some flashing blue lights on Walney Road. There was a wide load being transported from the local shipyard and the police had blocked the road. I slowed right down, managed to weave between the traffic and got back to Walney with a 21min 5k - not too shabby after an 8 mile hilly run. I felt amazing as I ran up to my door, I had pushed myself hard today and its given me a good platform to work from and base my future runs on, ready for Lakeland Trails Race at Cartmel. I can definitely get quicker and stronger in the next month and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Cartmel Race thoughts..
Its an 18k (11 mile) fell / trail race over, what Im sure is going to be, quite muddy ground. I haven't got a clue about times for the Cartmel race or where I want to try and finish. Last year there were some very, very good runners ( and I think a few pros /elites at least) in the mix so position isn't going to be important to me.

(For example - last year, in the Coniston 14 mile road race, I hammered every PB I had, smashed my half marathon PB time by nearly 8 minutes (1:24) and crossed the line in 1hr 30min  finishing in..wait for it - 50th place! It shows what the standard is like in these popular races.)

 If I can get towards 1hr 25 min I will be very happy for the Cartmel Race. Its in 4 weeks but there has been so much rain its going to be very hard going on the day. Part of the race and its attraction is a long stretch of mud towards the end. Our race is the last of the day on the same course. There is a 10k, an 18k trail challenge with a generous time limit and the 18k race, that Im entered in, with a tight time limit. So one thing I know is that everywhere is going to be seriously cut up by then, making conditions even harder. All that counts is that I give a good account of myself and give it 110% on the day. Oh and get totally shit up in the process - I cant wait! Here is a video of the event:



Food Diary

Breakfast
Pre run - just a coffee. I'm trying to get my body used to using its own fat as a fuel source so I don't eat before runs of less than 1hr 30 min.

Post run 
Nutribullet Shake - Spinach, Banana, kiwi, blueberries, celery, cashew nuts, linseeds, pear

Lunch
Poached egg and beans with 2 slices of GF toast.

Dinner:
3 slices of Pizza Hut Triple Pepperoni Pizza (naughty but very nice!)

Snacks
Natural -  dark chocolate and coconut bar

No comments:

Post a Comment