Sunday 21 February 2016

Back end of a busy week

Thursday 18th February

I was back at work, where we had two performances of a children's show in the theatre. It seemed like a really busy day and I was quite tired after walking home. I planned to go for a run later in the evening. I made tea and sorted everything out then sat down about 7pm with a coffee and woke up just after 9pm! I was absolutely knackered so I put Oliver to bed and went straight to my own bed and slept!

Friday 19th February

Friday was a planned rest day, I was at work then out for a meal in the evening so I wouldn't be able to get a run in anyway. I had one too many glasses of red with my Lamb Shanks and was a bit tipsy, which I noticed as soon as the fresh air hit me on my walk home.

Saturday 20th February
Oh my head! It was pounding and I felt like crap, totally self inflicted. I took Oliver to my mums and made myself go out for a short run to clear the cobwebs away. My new trail shoes had arrived and I was dying to give them a run out. I got back and after lunch got ready for work. It was another busy shift with a full house in the theatre for the Wrestling and plenty of operational set ups for us to do.

Running: 9.78 miles   8:43 min mile avg   1hr 25min
My head felt like someone was trying to get out of it using a sledgehammer and my stomach was flipping over in classic hangover style,  so from somewhere inside me I had the idea that going for a run would cure me. I got out my new trail shoes and eventually got them on.


They are Salomon S-Lab Sense 3 Ultra Soft Ground Trail Running Shoes. After recently splitting my Speedcross shoes I desperately needed some "aggressive" trail shoes. The ground is so saturated from the months of rain, I think its going to be a while before it firms up again so a good grip is required. It took me a while to choose them, as there is only one wage coming in I have to make sure I purchase correctly. I really wanted these last summer but the RRP then was £150 and way out of my budget. Just recently Salomon have released the new model so last years designs always drop in price. I got these for £69, an absolute bargain!
They are very light, exceptionally constructed and have a very aggressive tread. I would call them a "racing fit" by which I mean they are snug, not too small, just a tailored fit. I had read this in a review and went a size higher than usual and Im glad I did. Ive got quite wide feet and I struggled getting through the top opening. I persevered and after completely undoing all the laces I slipped into them. The toebox wasnt tight once my foot was in and I had plenty of room to wiggle my toes. The quick lace system was really good and fastened them up easily. So far I was very pleased with the purchase and they looked awesome too!
I set off into the freezing rain that was blowing in from the sea. I kept my pace steady as I really didn't want to puke everywhere. The shoes felt like slippers and I really couldn't tell they were brand new. After the brief road section to get to the airfield I reached the waterlogged, muddy path. I ran straight through the middle of the path, splashing the puddles and squelching into the mud. My feet held really firm in the mud, at first it was a strange feeling like wearing suckers on the soles of my shoes, but I worked out what was happening. The shoes are cleverly designed and push the mud and air out from the bottom of the sole and it felt to me like it created a bit of suction giving me amazing grip. I accelerated a bit and didn't notice any drop in friction. Wow these shoes were amazing to run through soft ground in and I didn't slip or slide once throughout the run.
I made my way around the loop enjoying the new shoes but not the freezing rain that was lashing my body. My lips were numb at the end of the beach path so I headed back. At home I looked at my watch and realized Id done nearly 10 miles and been out for 85min! I felt much better and went for good stretch and a hot bath before work.

Sunday 21st February
I woke early and went for a run with a couple of my mates. ON my return I had a red hot shower and blitz the house. Id been out on Friday and at work on Saturday so things had piled up (washing etc). Joanne wasn't too good today and felt quite dizzy and nauseous in the afternoon so she went for a lie down. Oliver and I made some GF garlic bread for tea then I got his stuff ready for school in the morning.

Running : 10.15 miles    1hr 35min      9.23 / mile avg

The three of us met at 6:30am in the freezing cold wind and rain. It was definitely one of those moments that is a fine line between commitment and madness. Paul, Alastair and myself all have families and work full time, so Sundays are a precious family day. Running early means everyone wins and we all got home for 8:15 without our families missing us.
We are all training for different events but are coming together once for a race in a few weeks time at Cartmel. Weekly LSRs (long slow runs) are back on again to get us all ready for the coming season and we talked about building the mileage week on week. The rain saturated us all completely but didnt stop the conversation throughout the run. It was good to run with them both, its not often I get to catch up with them so we had plenty to talk about today.
The route took us around a hilly loop today, starting in Dalton then up and over St Helens Hill, down into Askam then a big climb out of Ireleth over the moors and back into Dalton. We even somehow had the energy to hit a strava section up Dalton Cemetery Hill at the end!
I really enjoyed the good company and the run today (but not so much the rain!)

Food Diary:
Breakfast
Post run - Porridge with nuts and Chia Seeds

Lunch
Homemade Parsnip and Pepper soup with GF Bread

Dinner
Homemade Spaghetti Bolognaise with GF Garlic Bread

Drinks
Water, coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment