Sunday 27 September 2015

13 days to go!!

Another night of no sleep has left me very tired again all day. Its getting to the point where Im going in the spare room even if there is no bed! I set my alarm for 5:30am to go for a run but didn't need it as I was already awake. I got up, had some breakfast and an espresso then headed out for a half marathon. Im so close to my race now, its only 13days to go. Im not giving in now, not after all the hard work Ive put in, sleep or no sleep. Its 2 weeks of taper now so the intensity and length of each run is getting less and less as I progress towards my final goal.
After my run I stretched out, had a shower, did the shopping, made lunch, sorted the house out, made dinner for tonight and tomorrow, played with Oliver and fought sleep back all day. I even had a couple of glasses of wine with my tea! Then blog then bed!

Running: 13.70 miles  9.21/mi  2:08 hrs


I was tired but wide awake in an overtired kind of way as I made my way out this morning. I only had a half marathon to do today (I say only but is still a far distance, just not as far as I've been doing!). I ran across Jubilee bridge and along the channel up to the top of the slag bank and watched the sun rise across the town.

Sunrise over Barrow


A quick descent and I was on Park road, heading out of town towards Dalton. I ran along the pathway which runs parallel to, but is obscured from the main road by trees and hedgerows. I suddenly picked up a strong perfumed scent. I half expected to come across a woman walking or a handbag dropped and smashed perfume leaking from it but nothing was there. I made my way through the trees and plants still smelling the strong perfume. It was everywhere and after a mile I came to the conclusion that either someone had sprayed expensive perfume on every tree or it was the occasional white flower I passed. Im not a botanist by any stretch of the imagination but I think it was the Ivy, which grows in abundance along the path. Id never noticed it before in all the runs Id had down there. Weird! Was it just the end of the season and the flowers last attempt at pollenating before it dies or some supernatural effect of the super moon. Spooky or what. My mind really does wander when I run!!

I continued up St Helens Hill into Dalton, dropped down to Abbey road and me my way towards home. On Abbey flats, two fellow runners flagged me down. It was Christine and Marie, whom I know from parkrun and local races. They both wanted to know about my run back pack as they had signed up for an ultra next year (the madness is spreading :)  ) and were thing of getting one. We chatted for several minutes and I was happy to give them information about my race kit. Its great to meet other people who are as committed ( or need to be committed!) and as passionate about running as I am.

I left them and ran back to Walney, purposely keeping my pace slow. I finished with a run along the beach path and made my way home. It had been a nice run and the distance didn't present me with any problems.

Food Diary

Breakfast:
Porridge with Chia Seeds and Honey

Lunch:
Ham and cheese omelette with wilted spinach.

Dinner:
Roast Chicken Dinner with roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, sprouts, broccoli and roasted parsnips.

Sunday Roast and a medicinal beverage ;)


Snacks:
2x flapjacks on my run, nuts and seeds, dark chocolate.

Drinks:
Espresso and a few coffees, bottled water and 2 glasses of red wine (hic!)

1 comment:

  1. How we never pass each other on a run totally amazes me, it WILL happen one of these days LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete