Monday 7 September 2015

Backblog..Saturday 5th September


Blog – Saturday 5th September

Its been another lazy, quiet day today. Joannes been really exhausted today and even after a sleep in had to return to bed after lunch. She looked dreadful and I cant wait to get her some help and get her moving on the right track.
Ive been a lot less stressed over the last couple of days, its been hard for me to accept doing nothing when my life is normally 100 miles an hour. Ive played with Oliver, completed a few rounds of solitaire, read a book and edited the video footage from this week. My body and mind now feel so much better than they did a few days ago.
We ate out again tonight as its our last night. We had no food left in the fridge anyway! After we returned from dinner I managed to sneak out for an absolutely cracking run. Read my “review” below. I had a bit of time to write it!

Running: 7.14 miles 8.14/mi avg 58.47 min Coastal Run to Humphrey Head

I set out this evening with a hopeful mind. Id seen Humphrey Head jutting out from the coastline a couple of miles away. From our caravan site it looked runnable from the sea side but I had no idea if it was. (Humphrey Head is a large outcropping of rock and cliffs sticking out into Morecambe Bay between Flookburgh and Grange). By the main road I reckoned it was 4 – 5miles but along the coast I thought it would be nearer. I had told Joanne and Oliver that I would be gone 1 hour (it causes much stress and anxiety if I'm a minute late) so the clock was ticking. The sun was shining in the early evening sky, warming and energising me as I started my run.


Humphrey Head looking at it from the sea where I made my ascent
(Picture from Google)
 
I made my way through the park, out along the nature reserve and onto the sea wall. Id noticed a sign saying no entry earlier in the week but the fence was knocked down so I carried on. The man made sea wall of earth and grass stretched out around the peninsular. Jutting out at the end of the headland I could see my runs hilly target. The earth felt soft and moist underfoot, much better to run on that all that concrete and tarmac that lines all our roads. The sea air was a mere breath on my shoulder as I made my way around the coast, refreshing to the touch, the saltiness always present in the gentle breeze.

I softly ran across the defences, scattering the rabbits that had peacefully gathered to bask in the evening sun. Looking to my right, the Salt Marshes that grow along this side of the coast were teeming with life, the grazing sheep (whose meat is amazingly tasty from eating the salty grass) ran aimlessly in all directions as I approached, a mighty Heron stretched out its magnificent wings and took to flight, soaring effortlessly across the grassland, native seabirds chirped and warbled their evening song. What a place to run, what a way to experience life and nature. I love running, it takes me to all these amazing places and lets me experience so much Ive never done or seen before.

About 2 miles in I came to the end of the sea defences and was faced with a choice: do I cross a field full of cows and what I though were Bullocks, or do I explore around the coastline off the beaten track. Not one to flirt with danger or animals bigger than me, I decided on the coastal option and was greatly rewarded with an excellent piece of trail and rock running. It was exhilarating leaping from rocky outcropping to another, lightly jumping across gaps and pre-empting difficult, uneven landings. It was great off road training for my forthcoming Ultra. The coastline soon merged with a rock lined sea defence again and I found myself bouldering, bounding from jagged boulder to another, some moving underfoot, all part of the experience. That why I keep my steps light, so Im always in motion, moving and shifting my weight from foot to foot, anticipating movement and variants in the ground. It was trail running in its purest form and it was awesome.

The gnarled cliffs of Humphrey Head towered above me. I glanced at my Garmin, 25 minutes gone and about 3.5 miles in, I still had time to see if I could get to the foot of the hill. It looked like the slope ran into the sea at the end where I could safely make my ascent. I ran onto the beach at the foot of the cliffs, into soft sand, leaving deep footprints in my wake. The tide wasn't in so I ran further out, looking for a way up the massive rock. There it was, like a giant half buried stone, the outcropping met with the sands of Morecambe bay and pushed off, up above the cliffs. I had time? Didn't I?

I climbed onto the rocky hill and attacked the steep incline, my heart pumped faster as I ascended, I pushed harder and harder, stepping from rock to rock, bounding across the grassy hillside as I climbed, my breath short, laboured, but still I pushed onwards. I wanted the top and wouldnt stop until I reached it. A square obelisk marked the high point in front of me. I kept going, reaching for every breath, digging deeper and deeper into my energy. I felt amazing, as I always do when Im close to the edge, my blood raging through my veins, powering the muscles deep within my skin, energizing me, uplifting and exciting. I reached the top, my lungs screamed for oxygen, my heart racing in my ears. I took a moment to gather myself and calm my breathing.

As I looked around, the vista opened up giving me some very special views from Blackpool Tower and Heysham Power Station of the Lancashire Coast Line all the way round to the high fells and peaks of the Eastern Lake District. I could clearly make out the Fairfield Horseshoe above Ambleside, it looked every bit as steep as I remembered it. I would have to descend this in October for my race. The south end of Walney was just visible in the dusky haze as was the unmistakable silhouette of Piel Castle, nestled off the coast of Barrow. The view blew me away and I instantly regretted leaving my camera behind.

A quick glance at my watch reminded me of my time limit and I set off in search of path down the other side. An educated guess, because Humphrey Head is sign posted from the road and is a Nature Reserve, had me thinking there was a path down to the road that ran along the base of the cliffs. I was correct and made my way to the bottom. I could see the sea wall I had ran along from the road side and decided to cut across a field to it. It was a good choice and only required me to vault two fences, dodge 200 cow pats and to scare the poor sheep on the other side of the wall. I climbed back to the grassy mound that defended the land from the mighty seas and only had about 18 mins to get back. I put my foot down so to speak and pushed a quicker pace on my return.

A small passenger aircraft took off from Flookburgh airfield and I easily could make out the pilot sat in the cockpit, so I offered a half wave, half salute to him. He circled around behind me, rising in the bright sky until I heard his engine slow. He was at the correct altitude to part with his payload. From the fuselage dropped 3 shapes. They plummeted, gravity pulling at their forms, I could hear the wind resistance buffeting them as they fell towards the earth. With a sharp snap, three colourful parachutes billowed into existence, immediately slowing the fall, transforming the death defying free fall into a graceful pirouette. I watched on, enviously of the view they must have, of an amazing ultra runner far below...only joking, of the entire lake district and the coast line around them. What a perfect evening for a parachute jump (I must try that one day.. dont tell the Mrs!!).

I carried on towards the Caravan park, enjoying the last of the suns rays and watching m very own personal aerial display high above. My pace quickened slightly as I reached the harder packed gravel path that lined the parks Nature reserve. I pushed for home, now 57mins on the clock. I was well within the time as I came to the bottom of “Eskdale Close” where our caravan was located. I slowed to a jog and let my heart rate get back to normal, my breathing steadied as I thought about the run. What an evening, perhaps one of my best. I was greeted by the warm and loving smiles of my family as I opened the door, I grabbed some water and went back outside to cool down.“Im going to enjoy writing about it tonight” I said silently to myself as I stretched my tired legs on the caravan steps.

This is why I run!

Strength and core workout all done, unbroken with 3 minutes plank.

I feel totally amazing, strong and re-energized

Food Diary:

Breakfast:
Mini Shredded Wheat with Blueberries and Skimmed Milk

Lunch:
Goats Cheese, pepper, olive and tomato omelette (a leftover special!)

Fat Free Greek youghurt with Blueberries, topped with nuts and sunflower seeds

Dinner at the Park Bar/Resturant
Chicken, Pea and Asparagus Risotto with 2 slices of focaccia bread.

Drinks:
Orange juice, water, coffee




No comments:

Post a Comment