Wednesday 30 September 2015

Bootcamp..the return

My alarm went off at 5:30am and I automatically got up, got changed and had an espresso. I had a 7 mile run around Walney to do.

There are only 10 more days until my ultra so every run counts, every run finishes the job and completes the miles Id laid down on paper, seemingly so long ago. The end is near, at least for this chapter anyway. Ive got a little 100 miler to do next summer and Ive decided Im going to continue my blog for that too! The blogs really been helping me, its been a good tool to look back at my sessions, to offload any pressures and has made all this journey seem so much more real and added a validity to it. I cant wait for the race.

I completed my run, got home and had a gentle stretch. I made some scrambled eggs for my breakfast, made a pork casserole and shoved it in the slow cooker, sorted my lunch, tidied up and got my self ready for work. Not a bad mornings work if I dont say so myself. I was on a Project Management course at work today and I found the first day quite interesting as its something that applies to my job really well. I went home and got changed for Bootcamp! Yes it was back for a once a month special. After Bootcamp I showered, had some lovely Pork and Apple Casserole with rice, tidied up, put the boy to bed and wrote this blog.

Running: 7.14miles 8.45/mi 1 hour


I was stiff when I set out into the dark morning. The waxing super moon glowed silvery and bright in the morning haze as I made my way on my regular route around the island. I had a flashing arm band on as it was still pitch black, its red LEDs flashing, seemingly in time with my footsteps. I tried to clear my mind but it was, as usual, full of crap, so I just ran. The sun started its slow arc into the sky half way through my run, flooding the dark with pastel shades of purple and pink. Above me the sky was clear but a little fuzzy around the edges as the morning mist started to rise along the channel. It is a very peaceful time of day and fills me with so much energy for the coming day.
Soon I was on the shoreline and ran carefully over the stony trail. The visibility was still poor and I didnt want to go over on my ankle so I treaded lightly, keeping my cadence high and my footstrikes soft. The moon still hung over my shoulder, trying its best to light my way, to show me the contours of the path. I opened my eyes wide to take in more light and pushed onto Biggar Bank. From here I could see the beautiful Sunrise over to the East, rising slowly along the island. Ive been so lucky with my training runs, seeing so many amazing sights at all times of day.

I turned off the coast and ran the 2 miles back to home, soaking in the uplifting, bright and colourful sunrise. The clouds on the horizon had created what looked like a mountain range high above the land, the sun lit them from behind, giving them an edge and shape. My run came to a gentle end and I slowed to a jog, warming down. Im still quite low after the weekend and with so much going around in my head Ive decided to talk to someone about it.

It had been a lovely mornings run but my head was still full of feelings and thoughts I dont need or want so I will have to get that sorted and soon!

The Return of GB BOOTCAMPS!!


It seems like an eternity since I had my last bootcamp session. If you didnt know its what started me on this crazy ass journey and the main man, Gareth has become such a close friend, coach and mentor to me over the last 2 and a half years giving me amazing advice and pushing me hard whenever we train. It was so good to see many of the old faces there tonight and although a few regulars were missing we still had a good craic and a right laugh as we always do. Id not thought about how much I miss the camaraderie because of my recent training, but it all came flooding back tonight as we enjoyed catching up with each other.
 
The Bootcamp Posse
 
Gareth called us together to get started and we did some mobility exercises to get the blood flowing ready for a hard workout. As always happens at his point, before it gets hard work the double entendres start to flow and it soon degrades into laughter. Its more like “Carry on Bootcamp” at the start and its one of the many reasons we all come back, the laughter, mixed with the hard work and friendships makes an addictive cocktail.

Because of the once a month format, Gareth had decided to do a base line fitness test that we could use to compare our progress with next time we met. It was a lap of the block (about 500m) then straight into 20 press ups, 20 squats, 20 sit ups and finally 10 Burpees (If you've never met a Burpee, google it then try one - they aren't easy). I had already decided to push hard tonight, I needed the release for one, but I also wanted to see how my fitness was after all the hard work Id been putting in. We all gathered in a line and set off. I bolted from the off, letting my quick pace push me along. I was breathing hard but it was only a short distance, so I let myself push harder. I was first one back and launched straight into to the press up, pushing the floor away and quickly returning as I breathed deep, keeping my core tight and my back straight. Next were the squats and situps which I completed with no trouble.

My breathing was now slowing down from the run and I threw myself to the floor for the Burpees. The full body exercise used to be my nemesis. Because of the problems I had with my back, I could only ever do 1 or two, but with perseverance and the mentality to work on what your weaknesses are, Ive mastered them. I squatted down, my hands on the freshly cut grass and with arms straight, I kicked my legs out to land in a press up position. Then the powerful muscles in my hips thrust upwards and I pulled my legs under my torso landing on my feet. Continuing the move I extended quickly, jumping my weight from the floor in one movement. On my return to earth (after jumping 60 feet high!! ;) ) I bounced gently and bent straight into a squat again keeping the momentum high for the next rep. I finished the test and cooled down, Id pushed myself hard but my recovery was quick ready for the main workouts.

Thruster - Squat with a 20kg sandbag shoulder press
I felt strong, fast and totally in control of my body during the rest of the hard workout which involved more Burpees, tyre throwing, thrusters and shuttle sprints to name but a few of the tough exercises. After all three circuits of workouts we came together for a cool down and stretch. I had pushed myself really hard tonight and I loved every second of it, being outside with my great friends and totally enjoying myself. I cannot wait until the next one.

Food Diary:


Breakfast:
4 Scrambled eggs with 2 slices of GF Bread

Lunch:
Mackerel, avocado and rice salad.

Dinner:
Homemade Pork and Apple Casserole with vegetables and wholegrain rice.



Snacks:

Banana, Apple, nuts and seeds, flapjack, Seed 9bar, oatcakes with humus.



No comments:

Post a Comment