Friday 11 September 2015

School Boy Error

I was at work tonight so I didn't start work until 3.30pm. This meant I had a few hours to spare this morning. After missing yesterdays run due to DOMS I decided to double up today if I felt ok once I was out running. After Oliver went to school and I tidied up, got the washing out, got change and headed out. I ended up out a bit longer than I expected and rushed around to get lunch and walk to work. I was the first show of our new season at the theatre where I work and turned out to be a great night. I ended the night with a walk home in the cool night air.

Running: 17.32 miles   8:44 /mi   2:31hours


I set out at a nice steady pace and soon noticed the suns heat on my shoulders. If I felt ok I wanted to do about 13 or 14 miles in about 2 hours. I took my bottle belt with me and the one gel I had left. I was still tight after my 5K the other night but the soreness had just about gone. As I warmed up my body loosened up so I decided upon a route. I ran down past the dock museum and onto the slag bank and I wanted to try a different route for a change. I ran up bank lane the past the hospital down to the abbey.
Suddenly my stomach lurched and I immediately had to go into the bushes. Now if your not a long distance or Ultra runner, you may not be aware that occasionally during training and races you need to poo! Its something you have to accept and learn to carry tissues with you for (or search for an oak tree with big leaves ;) ).
After my interlude I moved on up to Dalton coming down cemetery hill and up past Clarence house. I decided to add the extra mile in and run down to Askam Brickworks and back along by stroke one. Id just had my gel and been running about 1:30 hrs. My one remaining bottle was draining quickly so I had to ration myself so Id have a bit left for the end of the run.
As I hit 2hrs running I was noticing the midday heat and the lack of water. As I only had one gel and Id already consumed it, my energy levels started to drop. I had 4 miles left to run with a mouthful of water, no fuel and the blazing sun. It had been a stupid error today, I underestimated the time and distance by about 30 min. Luckily I was ok at the end but any longer wouldn't have been pretty. I must do better next time its hot.
On my return all I could think of was a drink Id made my son the other day. Basically a neskwik chocolate milkshake and ice whizzed In a blender so that's exactly what I had with a spoonful of Hemp protein. It was bloody lovely and ice cold as I stretched out in the garden!

Food Diary:

Breakfast:
Mini Shredded Wheat with blueberries and skimmed milk

Lunch:
3 Egg Omelette  with ham, cheese and a tomato salad

Fat Free Greek Yoghurt with fruit and seeds

Dinner
Vegetable soup with wholemeal bread ( I was at work!)

Snacks
Cereal bar, 2 x apples, cherry flapjack

No comments:

Post a Comment