Monday 21 September 2015

Sunday Recce Run

Today was the organised recce run of the first 10 miles of the Lakes in a Day Ultra run. I rose straight away when the alarm went off at 5:30am. I had to be at Threkald in the Northern Lake District for 8am. I had breakfast, grabbed my stuff and headed out about 6:15am. I had got everything ready the night before so I wasn't disturbing anyone. I also made sure Joanne and Oliver had some lunch made to make it easier for them. On my return Joanne had to go back to bed and although I was shattered I cracked on, made dinner, sorted the washing out and tidied up. I crashed into bed later that night totally wrecked!

Running:  10 miles approx

It was a lovely drive through the Lake District, early enough to get a good run on the roads without any "Sunday Drivers" although technically I was driving on a Sunday so that makes me one too! There was a low lying fog drifting across the lakes and fells and I hoped it would lift before we set off. I reached Threlkeld in plenty of time, parked the car and went to the meeting point at the village hall café. There were a few other runners waiting for the bus and we introduced ourselves as we chatted. A very Yorkshire accent called my name and a face Id not seen for a while greeted my. It was Andy, whom Id ran some of the K2B a couple of years ago and been facebook friends since. I knew he was doing the race but didn't know hed be there today and it was good to see a familiar face. We made our way to the bus and it transported us to the start point in Caldbeck.

Caldbeck to Threlkald

The recce route was from the race start at Caldbeck, across the fells, then up and over Blencathra to Threlkald below that would be the first checkpoint and feed station on the route. I got my things together, popped in the pub for a wee and when everyone was ready, set off down the road.

The fog and mist had lifted and we could see the top of the first fell we would climb. The run leader gave us some instructions as to the correct route choice and we headed up the sloping hills. As we ascended the leader explained some of the terminology used when describing and understanding the landscape contours such as a "re-entrant". I found this very interesting and was learning a lot of new skills whilst brushing up on some navigation. We made our way to the top of High Pike and stopped for a moment to examine our maps and take some references and bearings. The view from the top was simply breath-taking, looking back towards our start point the view opened up in every direction, the flat northern coast of England giving way across the Channel of Eden River to the Scottish hills far beyond. Id never seen this view before and was blown away as I gazed across the countries, so clear in the morning air.

The next section was the "open route choice" which meant on race day we could take whatever path we wanted to take between High Pike to Foule Crag up on Blencathra. Now you would think the easiest way would be direct, but the fellside was covered with thick, course heather, bogs and gulleys. So we looked at our maps and between us discussed all the possible route options. We decided on a trail that lead us onto a large hill covered with low lying heather. It felt course and rough as I ploughed through the undergrowth, careful not to step into a divot. The heather looked as if it was growing on a flat hillside that was smooth and even, but the ground underneath belied its real surface. It was extremely soft underfoot and took quite a bit of energy to get across the fell.

We stopped at the crest of the hill to discuss what we could do and look for if the "Clag" was in (heavy fog and mist) and visibility was poor. Our target was in front of us now - Foule Crag, up a very steep incline. After looking at the waypoint we pushed on down the fell to the river crossing. We were all bounding down the hill when my foot went down an unseen gulley. The weight shifted under me and I lurched forward, but I managed to drop my shoulder and land into a roll. How the hell I managed it I don't know but I forward rolled and leapt straight up continuing my run as if nothing had happened. I got a woah! off Andy and we laughed at how cool it looked and I said its from watching TJ Hooker as a kid (Will Shatner always used to drop and roll in it!). My knee took a good grazing form the tumble but otherwise I was ok. We dropped to the river crossing at the bottom of the valley and found a way across the cold waterway.

The high crag at the back of Blencathra was above us, looming in the clouds as we surveyed the best route to take. A straight shot through the boggy heather was the best option and we all trudged off towards the summit over Mungrisedale Common. It was a long, slow and arduous climb. I walked for a while with the run leader Oli and we talked about our Ultra Running. It was really good to talk to someone who understands my craziness of loving Ultras and I got loads of good tips from him as we made our way skywards. I didn't find the climb taxing, which was good, although we were taking it slow and waiting occasionally for the group to reform again. At the top of the fell, the terrain changed to a rocky path and quickly steepened. It was short lived and we soon reached the summit. On the top was a huge white cross, made of white rocks, placed there in memorial of a walker who died many moons ago. It was quite surprising and a little eerie seeing something like that in the middle of nowhere.

Me at the top of Foule Crag
A short jog across the top of the saddleback brought us to the top of Blencathra herself. The view from the top was amazing and as I looked over the valleys of the Lake district towards Derwantwater
the clouds parted for a moment and the scene was bathed in sunlight. It was beautiful. I took a quick picture then listened intently to the run leader as he described the instructions for the descent.
I looked over the edge of Halls Fell. It looked like a spine of a huge reptile, squirming into the valley below. I was excited at the prospect of a quick descent. I love running technical downhill trail, not thinking about anything except my next step, my mind clear as I subliminally work out a path through the rocks. We started our descent.

Threlkald far down below Halls Fell
I took the lead after a few meters and the pace quickened. Halls fell is a good 800m high with drop offs either side down into a scree covered shoulder of the mountain. Yes it was frightening but that's a really big part of it for me. The fear keeps me at bay, stops me pushing too far and uncontrollably too fast. It was extremely technical in parts and I had to climb, slide and shimmy across the slippery,  sharp rocks. It was totally exhilarating! I loved every second of it. Moving between a deep V of rock, I slammed into the side as I moved at speed through the gap, my thigh glanced heavily off the side. It was sore but didn't stop or hamper my progress. My heart was in my mouth several times but I never once felt out of control as I flew down the mountain side. My brain instantly working out where each foot should be, what angle to place my ankle, where to brake, where to twist and shift my centre of gravity and when to just stop and look at the stunning scenery.

The stunning view from Halls Fell

"This is running, this is my drug and this is why I love it!"

I safely made the ascent and stopped at the bottom to wait for the others. One other runner on the recce had passed me towards the bottom as I descended. She was supremely confident downhill and became one with the mountain as she shifted her weight with the twists and turns of the path. The others soon joined us and we made our way back to the start point.

The bottom of the ridge we'd just ran down
 I felt really good and  although the 10 mile recce had been tough in parts, it hadn't shocked me or altered my race plans. I still had loads left to give. The café in Threlkald came into view and I rewarded myself with an Americano and a slice of "Caramel Heaven" (A millionaires shortbread topped with nuts and seeds instead of chocolate) and it tasted every bit as good as it looked. I chatted with the other runners as we drank and ate before we all bid each other farewell.

I left the café and took a moment to look at the next part of the race route, across the A66 and up Clough Head to Great Dodd then off to Helvellyn. I took a picture so I could commit it into my memory, gouging the trail into my mind ready for three weeks time.

Clough Head awaits, see you in three weeks
 I now know what to expect, I know what I need to do and I know how hard its going to be.

Today had been a great experience, meeting some lovely people with an common if unusual interest and learned the first 5th of the race route. An exhilarating and informative day out. I loved it.

Food Diary:

Breakfast:
Oatso Simple Porridge with nuts and seeds

Run Nutrition:
9bar, flapjack and 1 SIS Gel, 1 Ltr water with 2x electrolyte tablets.

Snacks:
Caramel Heaven slice (naughty but thoroughly deserved), 2x apples, Oatcakes and humus

Lunch:
Gluten free Pasta with Chicken , tomato and Pesto

Dinner:
Pork Stir fry with Rice and Vegetables

Drinks:
Water, coffee and a glass of Red Wine with Dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment