Saturday 19 September 2015

Fond memories....

Thankfully we all managed to get a good nights sleep for a change, I woke at 7 and got up with Oliver. After breakfast I took him to my Mums who looks after him on a Saturday morning until just after lunch. It gives me time to get jobs done, work or train and today was training day. Joanne was exhausted from going to her friends last night so I left her in bed and went for a run. I had a 15 mile run scheduled but because I missed yesterdays run I decided to up it to 20 miles. I had a route in mind and it was a beautiful day to get out. On my return Oliver came back and normal service resumed. That was it for the day, cooking and washing and playing with Oliver. After all that I got all my gear ready for an early start in the morning. Ive got to be at Threkald for 8am in the morning for my recce of Blencathra and Im so looking forward to it. When Im all done Im going to have an early night.

Running: 20.69 miles    9.11 / mi    3:09hrs

It was a hot one today so I slapped on some factor 50 before I left the house. I had my new trainers and calf guards on today, giving them a good break in. I made my way over Walney Bridge and turned into Channel side haven heading for Red Mans way. My feet were starting to ache and I realised my laces were a bit tight so I stopped and loosened them off, letting my feet spread into the shoes. It was so much better. I carried on along the channel taking in the great views of North Walney and Black Combe in  the distance. It was a steady climb up to the top of Red Mans way, but I was rewarded with more amazing views of the coast. I live in such a beautiful area, on the coast at the foot of the Lake District "where the lakes meet the sea" is the local slogan and its never been as true as today. The whole of the Western lake district was visible, the high peaks clear and sharp in the morning sunlight. I love running up here, its so uplifting and peaceful.

Red Mans Way. The path leads along Walney Channel

I  made my way down and onto the main road that comes into Barrow, a loud contrast from the tranquil view Id had just moments ago. Trucks, cars and motorbikes all flying past polluting the air with their noisy, hurried engines. I turned off on the route, up Bank Lane then over Park Road to take on St Helens Hill. The views on this part are as equally stunning with the fells and moorland of Kirby adding to the landscape. The sun was rising quickly in the sky and although its mid September it felt very hot as I ran along. The sweat began to bead and run down from under my cap, so I stopped for a moment and packed it away in my backpack.

St Helens hill was quickly before me. Its a bit of a local hot spot for runners as it takes a good 5 minutes of climbing and has its own Strava section. It also used to be a main road into Dalton and onto Askam, many moons ago. The hill was a hard struggle when I first started distance training but now only offers me a small challenge. As I reached the last corner a long lost memory rose from the depths of my mind.  My Dads Aunt used to live up here and we used to drive up this hill to her house. I remembered sitting in the back of the family car, a deep green Vauxhall Victor back in the 1970s, listening to the car struggling and coughing as it made its way slowly up the hill in first gear. Fond memories of a childhood that seems so far away now!

I reached the top and pushed on into Dalton dropping down to the main road then it was straight up again. Dalton Cemetery hill is a very steep hill, short and sharp. Its even got a handrail up the side wall its that bad (or good if, like me, you embrace hills). I didn't think twice about it and strode onwards and upwards. The climb only lasted about 40seconds but always gets my breath. I had a quick drink at the top and made my way across to Stank.

Stank hill is also a runners favourite, sweeping up and dropping straight back down the other side. From its crest you can see the southern tip of Walney and Barrow as it juts out into Morecambe Bay, another truly spectacular view. From there it was back down the hill and through the lanes all the way to Rampside. It was about 12 noon and I was due some fuel so I decided to wait until I reached Roa Island. Its connected to the mainland by a long causeway that can be horrendous to cross in bad weather but today it was a peaceful crossing, the sun shining and the sea air calm and fresh. I popped into the public toilets, refilled one of my bottles from the tap and went to sit at the head of the island which is home to the lifeboat station and the jetty that points to the Piel Island a few hundred yards off shore.

The Jetty at Roa Island pointing at Piel Island

Tourists and locals were making the crossing to Piel in the sunshine, the small ferry motoring them back and forth across the calm sea. A few people gave me a strange glance as I sat down and opened my backpack. The attire of an ultra runner kind of stands out in an urban setting, with all the compression shorts, calf guards and running vests on display. Its not something very common to see I suppose and I often get questioned about it, which always ends with "How Far! You must be mad". (No..Im not Mental...Im.. ).

I sat for a few minutes, basking in the sun and the vista before me, the views stirring my spirit on a primitive level, filling me with a desire to be free, to keep going, to explore and well, just run. I could have sat there for hours watching the ferry and the boats in the channel but I had work to do. Its about 5 miles home from there so I packed up and made my way back over the causeway onto the "old Line" greenway.

More fond memories came to me as I ran this familiar route. My Grandad on my Mums side, used to take me there on his long weekend walks with his dog, Kim (well it was my cousins dog but it was Grandads really!). I was the only boy in the family so we had a special bond and he had a real soft spot for me. We used to walk for hours and he would tell me all about Barrow and the area, its history and its legends. What I remember most though was his passion about nature. He loved to grab me and point out a hare or a white Heron as we ambled along and he knew the name of every bird and animal we came across. I learned so much from him in those walks and I really looked forward to our time together. Ha, I laughed as I recalled how the dog used to get shit up all the time in the muddy bogs that litter the docklands and my Nana used to tell Grandad off for it on our return. I used to love those walks with him and they will always have a special place in my heart. (Bloody hell, Im getting a bit tearful as Im writing this, its flooding me with emotion as I remember so long ago). I do miss him and I must admit, its been a while since Ive thought of him. He died when I was 15 so that was 27 years ago!!

Its a fantastic thing, running, it delivers every time I go out the door and has given me back this lovely memory today.

Running over the only hill on the Green way, my home town opened up before me and I could see why the town prospered because of its deep water channels leading in. The busy industrial landscape gave such a stark contrast to the serene and still Lake District behind it. I continued, through the dockland and back into Town. My pace had been good throughout the run and I was pushing a bit harder than normal. This was a good feeling and I was reaching some quick speeds (for long distance running) as I came into Morrisons Car Park. With only a mile and a half to go, my body sensed it and got its second wind, suddenly feeling lighter and speeding up as we reached Walney. I slowed down as I approached home, warming down at a gentle trot whilst my heart rate returned to normal.

I made myself a lovely cold protein drink and sipped it in the garden as I stretched and cooled down. It had been a fantastic run, almost effortless and thoroughly enjoyable. A beautiful autumnal run around our amazing area.

Food Diary:

Breakfast:
Mini Shredded wheat with chopped banana and chia seeds

Run Nutrition
1x 9Bar, 1x bag of nuts and seeds, 1x SIS apple Gel, 2x ltrs water with 3 electrolyte tables

Post run protein smoothie:
Iced Berry Smoothie: Frozen berries, coconut milk, Greek yoghurt, honey, hemp protein powder

Lunch:
Spanish omelette (3 eggs, mushrooms, peppers, spinach and new potatoes) with side salad

Dinner
Pesto Salmon with wholegrain rice, roasted vegetables and a homemade tomato ragu.

Pesto topped Salmon with roasted veg 
Snacks:
 apple, sourdough GF crackers with homemade humus, 100% orange juice iceblock

No comments:

Post a Comment